- Since 1998, Sam has been active in the real estate development and planning industry. He has written for several national publications, performed appraisals and market studies for a variety of real estate types, guest lectured and presented on a range of topics.
- Sam has performed market studies on a variety of real estate types. Since 2006, Joe Urban, Inc. has completed numerous market studies for both public and private clients. Prior to forming his own firm, he had market research and consulting stints of more than two years at Dahlgren, Shardlow and Urban, Maxfield Research and Colliers Towle.
- He has written for several national publications about urban issues on five continents. His articles have appeared in Urban Land magazine, Planning, New Urban News, The Next American City and Citiwire. He has contributed case studies, book chapters and reviewed publications for the Urban Land Institute.
- Sam was invited to join the Citistates Group in 2009. The Citistates Group is a team of journalists and writers dedicated to metropolitan regions and how they postion themselves for the 21st Century.
Past Chair – Young Leaders Group of the Urban Land Institute – Minnesota District Council
- Sam started the Young Leaders Group (age 35 and under) in 2004, and formed the Executive Board to recruit members, organize programs and educational events, and host monthly happy hours. During tenure membership rose from 12 to over 100.
- Urban Land Institute – Minnesota District Council Executive Committee 2002 2006
- National Council of Housing Market Analysts (NCHMA) – Member since 2009, Executive Committee since 2012
- Standish-Ericsson Neighborhood Association (SENA) – Board member since 2004, President 2011-13
- Urban Land Institute – Member since 2001
- Congress for the New Urbanism – Member since 2004
Chesterton Real Estate Consultants, London, England; 1998
- Sam is proud of the fact that his first “real job” was at Chesterton, a real estate brokerage based in London. He worked there during the spring and summer of 1998, preparing demographic reports for the location of nursing homes and pubs, and generally following the commercial real estate market in London.
- Bachelor of Arts – Geography; 1997, University of Wisconsin, Madison. On Wisconsin!
- Professional development coursework at the Humphrey Institute for Public Affairs, 1999-2000, University of Minnesota.
- Rutgers University online courses: Retail Market Analysis and Pro Formas, 2008 and 2009.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.